I have been involved with giving talks and discussing comic artwork and sequential narrative for a few years.
Events I have been involved with;
Over the past few years, I have given presentations, by myself or with colleagues, to groups of people who are also interested in drawing in a manga-influenced style. I have also been involved in drawing client’s caricatures for event attendees.
- BBC Blast Workshop tour @ “Manga motion”, Cambridge
- Talks with Sonia Leong & Emma Vieceli @ Halesowen Library, West Midlands
- Workshop (all-day event) @ The Hub National Centre for Craft & Design, Lincoln
- Illustration Workshop @ “Everybody’s Reading”, Phoenix Square, Leicester
- Talks & workshops @ The Artists & Illustrators (A&I) Exhibition, London
- Portfolio reviews & talks @ Minamicon, Southampton
- Caricatures @ Will Adams Festival, Kent
- Caricatures @ TokyoToys Store, Trocadero Centre, London
- MCM Expo, 2005-2009 (Helped host the Letraset-sponsored Manga Competition with Sweatdrop Studios)
I have TEFL experience and have had workshop, demo and talk experience with small and large groups consisting of people of all ages. This pretty much covers all bases! I’m super-passionate about comics, manga, sequential narrative, games – all aspects of popular culture – I do not consider a range of ages or small/large sized groups to be challenging, either!
If you are considering a workshop or talk for a group of people it can be arranged no problem. Or if you want to hear about manga at your art centre or library, get them in touch with me! Drop me a line with a brief outline of what you are interested in, I can tailor-make a presentation to fit your group’s preferences.
- Digital Manga Techniques (Hayden Scott-Baron, ISBN 0-7136-7475-X)
- Draw Manga – Sweatdrop Studios (multiple artists; ISBN 1-84537-416-9)
- Drawing Manga (Selina Dean, ISBN 0-00-723178-4)
- Manga Clip Art (multiple artists; ISBN 1-904705-83-9)
- The Cartoonists’ Bible (multiple artists; ISBN 1-84448-188-3)
- 500 Manga Characters (Sweatdrop Studios; ISBN 0-06-125652-8)
- My Manga Journal (multiple artists; ISBN 978-1907332173)
- 1000 Ideas from 100 Manga Artists (multiple artists; ISBN 978-1592537143)
- Rising Stars of Manga UK & EIRE #3 (multiple artists; ISBN 1-4278-1165-2)
- Mammoth Book of Zombie Comics (multiple artists; ISBN 978-1-84529-714-5)
- Drop Dead Monstrous (multiple artists; ISBN 978-1-905038-17-6)
- Sugardrops (multiple artists; ISBN 1-905038-00-3)
- Stardust (multiple artists; ISBN 1-905038-06-2)
- Blue is for Boys (multiple artists; ISBN 978-1-905038-08-4)
- Cold Sweat & Tears (multiple artists, ISBN 978-1-905038-02-2)
- Biomecha Book 1 (ISBN 978-1-905038-12-1)
If you are interested in a talk, manga workshop or demonstration of your art product, please email me [laura.watton[@]gmail.com] and describe what you would like, plus details of your budget to arrange contractual work.